Windows 10 is the latest Operating system for computers by Microsoft Corporation. If you are missing sound on your Windows 10, what will you do? You certainly go to your computer operator. But please read this article before going anywhere for the solution to this problem. We will tell you some straightforward methods and ways to restore your missing sound in Windows 10.
Windows 10 has a built-in sound adjustment tool that is placed on your Windows taskbar. This tool is run by a software driver known as an audio driver.
There is an issue with this audio driver in more than 90% of cases of missing sound. Missing sound can also be caused by hardware issues such as issues with the sound card and its connections. In this article, you will learn how to fix any issues related to missing sound in windows 10. Please read this article carefully and for the instructions.
1. No sound on Windows 10 what to do – look for the reason
Several situations and problems can aid the missing sound issue in Windows 10. For example:
- There is simply no audio sound on a computer or a laptop.
- Sound stops working in different kinds of sound output instruments such as headset and speakers.
- The gradual reduction of the volume as time passes.
Common reasons for this are:
- A problem in the sound module that is causing a sound malfunction due to upgrade to the latest Operating System (OS) version.
- Poorly installed or faulty drivers.
- Effect of those changes in the system, which can directly or indirectly affect the sound output system.
- The problem or malfunction with the plugs of output devices such as speakers. Adjust the variables according to the windows expert recommendations and fix the above-given problems.
2. No sound on Windows 10 what to do – Check the sound card
A sound card is the basic unit of your computer sound system. It is you can say a medium of delivering sound. It contains both input and output units. The problem with the sound card can totally or partially malfunction your sound system. Usually, the sound card is integrated into the motherboard of a computer.
- The sound card has a built-in 3.5mm output under the mini-jack on the back of the computer, connecting sound-reproducing equipment.
- In many cases, there is an additional 3.5mm jack at the front panel of the system unit.
- A monitor with HDMI cable ability can also transmit sound through speakers.
- The sound-reproducing equipment can be connected by using different secure mediums such as via USB and wirelessly (for example, via Bluetooth).
A sound card is a place on your computer motherboard where all the sound-related operations are held. The sound card reproduces sound by connecting speakers together with the drivers of each of the devices.
Before checking into the system settings, look for the channel through which the sound is playing and also for speaker connection.
- Always check if the wires are connected and plugged correctly, and the power supply is adequate (220V).
- After this, check for the wireless connection (the indicators show the pairing mode when two devices are in contact with each other).
- Check for the playback channel used. You can do it by simply clicking the speaker icon on the taskbar.
If all things are working correctly, it means the device is connected successfully but still the sound is missing in Windows 10, you should consider the diagnostics option.
3. No sound on Windows 10 what to do – Diagnose the system
Windows 10 Diagnostics is a built-in self-problem detector tool in windows 10, developed to save you from any difficulty in finding the type of problem in your system. There are very high chances that this tool can help you in finding and resolving the issue with missing sound in your windows. It is straightforward to use. Simply follow the given instructions,
- Simply go to the speaker’s shortcut and right-click it. You will find “Troubleshoot audio problems” in the menu. Click it.
- Select the device which has the problem (If there are many of them connected).
- You can easily disable any device which is causing the problem through this diagnosing tool.
- The diagnostic tool will check the problems with drivers, their compatibility with the OS system. If the problem detected, it would show the details of the problem, and if not, it will say that the error not be found.
- The diagnostic tool will give you an informative report which will lead you towards the right solution.
4. No sound on Windows 10 what to do – Update Drivers
Driver software is a connection between the OS and the paired device. The paired device, like a speaker, cannot work without the driver’s software. When you install Windows 10, it will independently install its driver database files by searching for the necessary files on the internet. If Windows is unable to find essential files for drivers, it will certainly inform you about this. Such driver files that are installed by OS, sometimes do not give the desired result. So you need to update them for good results. You can update them both automatically and manually.
- Right-click on the “Start” button and select the “Device Manager” from the menu.
- Expand the Audio inputs and Audio Outputs directory.
- Right-click on the connected sound device. After this, click on “Update driver.”
- After completing the Driver Update process, the Restart of the system is highly recommended.
5. Sound Card Driver Update
It sometimes happens that you are missing sound on Windows 10 even after updating and installing the drivers from scratch. What will you do in this condition? You have to manually restore the sound card driver for the restoring of sound. It is effortless to do that,
- The first step is to obtain the latest driver software for your sound card. You can buy a disk of the driver from the market, or it can also be downloaded from your computer manufacturer website.
- After this, go to Control System -> Device Manager, and find different sound-related buttons such as “Sound,” game, video devices, or game controllers.
- After this, find your audio device/sound card, ” right-click on it, go to Drivers and click “Update Drivers.”
- Take the necessary files from the drive and activate the updates.
- After updating the OS and the necessary drivers are not at hand, use the “Rollback” function, which will be available.
5.1 Finding the driver you need is pretty simple
- It is straightforward to find a suitable driver for your computer and Operating System (OS). Write your computer model name with the word support in the search engine. It will lead to the device developer website.
- You should know your OS bit depth (x86 and x64). It will make your search of your drivers very easy. You can then register your drivers for OS.
- Download the drivers to your pc and install them through Device Manager tool.
It is highly recommended to run the driver installer in compatibility mode. It will remove all kinds of installation problems in your OS.
5.2 It works like this:
- First, remove all the sound-related devices such as headphones and speakers connected to the PC, then go to Device Manager and click the “Audio Outputs” section.
- Remove the High-Definition Audio device (your sound card may have a different name) from the sound or gaming device section.
- After this, Hardware Update Wizard to install the drivers.
Windows 10 includes a built-in feature that tries to install new and latest drivers even if the older one is fit for the system. This thing can cause issues with sound and sound cards. For avoiding this issue, always install original drivers.
6. The sound went off on my Windows 10 What to do – Change sound settings.
Sound is an integrated program in OS that works with playback devices.
- Select your primary audio playback device, for example, your speakers.
- Turn off or mute the sound effects.
- Try to reduce the main volume of various processes.
After doing all the above things, if you are still missing the sound on Windows 10, what to do with the sound settings? Well, you will,
- Right-click on the volume shortcut in the taskbar and then click to the “sound settings” button.
- After this, click on “device properties, and then “additional device properties.
- The Speaker Properties tab opened. After this, click on the “enhancements” tab and enable the “Disable all enhancements” option. It will remove all kinds of applied effects.
- Always check the volume level and balance.
Restart is highly recommended for applying these settings.
7. Quiet sound on Windows 10? Easy to fix!
If you are facing quite sound on Windows 10 while working or completely disappears, do the followings:
- Open Control Panel -> Sound
- Then open the communications tab.
- Check the box next to “Do nothing” and click “Apply.”
8. Missing sound on windows 10 what to do as a result
If the sound disappearing is detected on your Windows 10:
- Firstly, check the speaker connected to the pc.
- Deactivate all sound effects.
- Diagnose with your system software.
- Install new and genuine drivers for your computer.